Thursday, May 10, 2012

AIMEE DE LA HARPE

My dearest Aimz,

Writing this proved to be so much more of an emotional experience, than what I expected. But you have been in mind, and this time of year, and on this day, it is always time to pay tribute to you.

To strangers and people glued to the media hype, you were merely known as "The 15 year old girl who filmed her own suicide", in 2006. Thinking about you the past week and anticipating today and wondering what a fitting 'gift' would be this year, I went back and read all the posts, news reports and comments that were posted and published about you, online… I shouldn't have…The things people said about you… the way they viewed, portrayed and judged you, still angers me… but saddens me more, because they did not KNOW you Baby-Girl. They took your personal blog entries and used what you had written out of context… They surely managed to create their own hype sensation and people, strangers... were hanging at their every word. They saw what they wanted to see. I saw YOU my dear Aimee.

I was a Teacher, you a learner, but we connected from the first time we met. I find myself thinking back on the after school conversations we used to have… Some times light conversations about this and that… other times we'd speak about how you loved your art and photography and how proud I was that at 15, you had already had a professional studio showing of your work. It was an outlet for your emotions, including the 'clouded' side of you… a way of expressing how you felt and viewed the world around you… the beauty that surrounded you, but also the darker side of things. You were so incredibly talented. And admittedly, there were times we spoke about and discussed your depression and how low you sometimes felt, and the reasons behind those emotions. But there were days of happy, joyful and fun conversations about boys, and parties and every day life.

Aimz you were exceptionally beautiful, artistic and eccentric in your ways… And you have been one of the most influential souls that had crossed my path and my journey, if only for a short while.

You are imprinted on my soul… I don't know why, but you are, and I am grateful for that impression you have left within me. Thank you.

On Wednesday, 10 May 2006, at the tender age of 15, my dear Aimee De La Harpe, you took your own life... your decision changed our world and our perception of the world around us... Your decision may not have been the right one for those left behind... but Baby-Girl, as much as you are thought of, as much as you are missed, I realised, even back then, THAT IT WAS THE RIGHT DECISION FOR YOU... And that is ALL that matters. As strange as it may seem to others, I respect the choice/s you made.

You were courageous and I just know you are soaring high and free girl… And hey... you did indeed show 'them' ;)

Keep flying… circle around the Johnson's from time to time… We miss you.

Your gift this year… finally an actual recording of me covering/singing the song I dedication to you back then. I must admit, it was hard getting through the song on an emotional level… for many reasons… But I did it… just for you… I will be up loading your song a little later today, and tonight when I am out singing, I will sing one of your other favourite songs as well, I promise.

FLY – (Written by Jean-Jacques Goldman and Phil Galdston. Originally performed by C. Dion)

Fly, fly little wing
Fly beyond imagining
The softest cloud, the whitest dove
Upon the wind of heaven's love
Past the planets and the stars
Leave this lonely world of ours
Escape the sorrow and the pain
And fly again

Fly, fly precious one
Your endless journey has begun
Take your gentle happiness
Far too beautiful for this
Cross over to the other shore
There is peace forever more
But hold this memory bittersweet
Until we meet

Fly, fly do not fear
Don't waste a breath, don't shed a tear
Your heart is pure, your soul is free
Be on your way, don't wait for me
Above the universe you'll climb
On beyond the hands of time
The moon will rise, the sun will set
BUT I WON'T FORGET

Fly, fly little wing
Fly where only angels sing
Fly away, the time is right
Go now, find the light

Much, much love
Nat
xxx

1 comment: